Hey, how’s it going? You may not have gotten the memo. This site has moved on to NeatandKeen.com. It’s still got all the same posts, remarkably similar layout, but it’s also got the newer posts, too. This site is staying up as sort of an archive until I can figure out a nifty way to redirect old links to the new ones or something.
Once again I have fallen behind my posting duties here. You’d be surprised how long it takes to craft a well thought out meaningful post. So here are some highlights:
- My screen printing studio is coming along. It’s been a bunch of highs and lows as I figure out one thing and then fall on my face at another. Above is a film positive for screen in which I hope to print a new design of my Love Poem which was featured over at Kind Over Matter today.
- I’ve been to the West Coast!. Last week I got back from California where I was checking out the LA area and investigating a job opportunity. More on that later.
- In addition to the opportunity out west, I’ve still been thinking about the Tentative Quest, in which I tour all 50 states taking my art and music with me. It still sounds crazy, but the idea is getting harder to shake.
- Whatever is coming, I feel like the changes are big and scary, but I guess that’s just part of life. When I quit my job two months ago I put those changes into motion and the only way to kind of avoid the coming changes is to take on another factory job somewhere, which I’d really rather not do. As much as my house is starting to feel like a home, I feel like I may have to let go of it to help usher in whatever change I choose.
- I’m hoping to make some updates to this website soon, maybe even a new name. I feel like “johneverettmorton.com” is a lot to type out. Right now my biggest focus is getting my screen printing process going (even as the possibility of selling my home becomes more real), so I haven’t be as diligent about updating this site. However, you can still see pretty regular updates at my Facebook page and Instagram.
Three months! That’s how long I’ve been editing separations on this image and making little adjustments to it. Mind you I’ve got a full-time job and house to maintain and I’ve been working on some other art projects in the meantime. As disgusted as I am with my slow progress, I’m rather glad I didn’t call this done three months ago. To refresh your memory, here’s what it looked like then: Continue reading
Some weeks back I teased a bit about a love poem poster I was working on. Since then a few things have changed as you can see above. The original plan was to work on an 18 x 24 inch letterpress design. I’ve never designed anything for letterpress and I thought it would be good. I’m not opposed to to doing a letterpress version, but I got to thinking how expensive it would be to do and thought a text only 2-color screen printed poster would be a more affordable alternative. But today’s discussion is not about design side of the rough draft you see above, and rest assured, it is a very rough draft. Hopefully all the things that bug you (and me) about this visually will be corrected in future drafts. Today I’m doing a breakdown of the words behind this work in progress. Continue reading
Earlier this week I did a review of Chris Guillebeau’s book The Happieness of Pursuit. One of the exercises in the book is to make your own bucket list, the list of things you want to accomplish before you die. I feel like I have made such a list before, but I couldn’t find in anywhere. It’s possible that I just kept a handful of things in mind because as I sat down to write them out, I was amazed at how difficult it was and how few things I had in mind. Here’s a detailed look at what’s on my bucket list now. Continue reading